Husøy is one of the westernmost islands in the western Sogn district. The topography is one of rocks, islets, and islands. Blue ocean and grey rock. There is very little forest, but some areas with green grass tell us that domestic animals have been kept here. The trading post is situated on the south-west side of the island, at the sound between Husøy and Kirkøy. Husøy chapel stood at Kirkøy from 1717 until 1900.
Clearly visible in the shipping lane of Ytre Steinsund, the trading post of Indrøy is situated. It is a striking example of how a self-made man built a many-sided business, which in turn was outstripped by new communications and a changed resource base.
Korssund is situated in the bay of Korssundosen, north of the Åfjord and south of the Vilnesfjord. With smaller boats it is possible to sail into the Vilnesfjord through the narrow strait of Lammetunsundet. There is also a road leading to this place, built in the 1960s. We still find a grocery shop and a post office at Korssund. From ancient times, Korssund was part of the municipality of Askvoll, but after the municipal border regulations in 1992, it now is part of the municipality of Fjaler.
The small island of Børholmen is located on the ocean just to the south of the entrance to the Sognefjord. The islet is located between Kversøy to the west and Grima and Lomansøy to the east. In spite of its proximity to the North Sea, the islet is well sheltered from most winds and the ocean breakers. On the east side we find the old trading post and inn.
Skjerjehamn is located furthest to the north-west on the island of Sandøy, on what used to be an islet, but now linked to the main island by means of a landfill. The place is located in the shipping lane through Gulen between the Sandøy and Mjømna. Skjerjehamn is said to have been a trading post for centuries.
The old trading post of Rugsund is located in a beautiful natural setting on the eastern tip of the island of Rugsundøy. Rugsund, the strait between the island of Rugsund and the mainland, is the shortest way to Nordfjord when you sail from the south into the sea of Frøysjøen. In the strait there are two islands - Storøyna and Litleøya (literally the big and the small island) - which provide shelter for the old trading post. Rugsund is also the name of the church "sokn" the place belongs to, in the Davik parish in the municipality of Bremanger.
At the southernmost point of Bremangerlandet is the old inn of Smørhamn. The sea entrance from the west is narrow, and it is necessary to stay close to the island of Rota. To the east are the frequently weather-exposed waters of Frøysjøen. To the west is the island of Frøya with the small town of Kalvåg, now connected by bridge. Smørhamn is still an important harbour for ferry and express boats.
On the south side of the island of Vågsøy, at the entrance to the Vågsfjord we find the old trading post and inn of Vågsberget. The trading post with the inn has a beautiful setting along the sea lane, encircled by big, planted deciduous trees. Bergen citizens started trading here in the 17th century. Today Vågsberget is one of the best preserved of the 19th-century trading posts in western Norway. In 1989, it was decided to restore the buildings of the old trading post.
On the western shores of the island of Vågsøy, in the innermost part of the bay of Kvalheimsvika, where it tapers off and turns south, the fishing village of Torskangerpollen is located. From the mid-19th century, people came from all over the region of Nordfjord to take part in the winter cod fisheries. Many warehouses and boathouses were built, or ocean cottages as they often were called. The characteristic fishing village still exists, but the ocean cottages are no longer used by fishermen.
In former times pilots lived on the island of Silda. The northern harbour was a "waiting harbour" for ships heading north past Stad. In bad weather ships found good shelter there unless the wind came from the northwest. However, on Boxing Day 1862, the wind from the northwest blew harder than people could remember. Then the storm caught hold of the schooner "Marie" and blew her out of the harbour in the direction of Venøya. Several men lost their lives, and the pilot "Velom i Sildene" was one of them.
Osmundsvåg is located on the peninsula between the strait of Ulvesundet and Sørpollen, with the waters of Sildegapet to the north. On the northernmost point of this peninsula there is a small bay open to the south where the trading post of Osmundsvåg was located. Trade was started there about 1700 and was continued for two centuries. As was the case with so many other trading posts and inns, Osmundsvåg was also a court site. Now all the old houses are gone.
The shipping lane along the coast has always passed through the strait of Ulvesundet, between the island of Vågsøya and the mainland. The small island of Måløyna with the old trading post is centrally located in the strait. Today it is the town on the island which now carries the name of Måløy.
Bulandet is situated on the ocean westernmost in the municipality of Askvoll, comprising ten small islands. The trading post of Kjempenes, where the inn and the general store were situated, is on the island of Musøya. This island is situated between Hillersøy to the south-west and Nikøy to the north-east. The other islands are concentrated in a north-westerly direction from Kjempenes.