In the churchyard at Værlandet there is a memorial stone for fallen soldiers from Værlandet and Bulandet. The stone stands on the grave of one of them, Bernt Myrvåg. He fell in the battles at Walcheren in the Netherlands.
Dragseidet occupies a famous place in Norwegian history due to one major event: the christening assembly in 997, when King Olaf Tryggvason assembled important people from four counties with the sole purpose of converting them to Christianity. In the olden days, seamen had to haul their boats across the strip of land called Dragseidet in order to avoid the treacherous waters of Stad.
On a crag on the island of Hovden to the west of Florø stands a three-metre-high stone in commemoration of Johan Schumann. The memorial stone was erected at the same time as the urn containing his ashes was buried there some time after his death in 1911. Who was he, this man who was honoured with such a special memorial?
Mjømna church is a so-called longchurch made of wood situated on the island of Mjømna, in the far western outskirts of the municipality of Gulen. The church has a seating capacity of 310, and was consecrated on 5 November, 1901, by bishop Johan Willoch Erichsen. Anders Korsvold from Gulen was both architect and builder. The church is a "sokn" church for the "sokn" of Mjømna in the parish of Gulen. The ¿sokn" was established by royal decree on 23 June, 1900.
In 1900 the topographer Amund Helland described the river of Kvinnaelva with these few words: ".. a short watercourse, running southwards - with the picturesque Kvinnefos cascading into the Sognefjord." A landscape protection report a hundred years later follows up with: "The Kvinnefossen waterfall (..) one of the finest waterfalls along the Sognefjord."
The first county hospital in Sogn og Fjordane was completed in Florø in 1933. It was based on the old Red Cross Hospital from 1926, which again was established from a hospital for fishermen from 1865. The whole town of Florø has fought hard to keep the hospital. In this way, the hospital has strengthened Florø's identity. In 1995, the hospital became a department under the Central County Hospital in Førde.
It was the development of hydroelectric power that created the industrial growth in Svelgen from 1914. However, it took a long before any road construction took place. Only in 1965 was Svelgen connected to the rest of the county through the building of highway (RV) 614 from Svelgen to Haukå, with a ferry connection across the Norddalsfjord to Bjørnset. The extention further north to Ålfoten and a ferry service across the Nordfjord between Isane and Stårheim came in 1972.
Along the Sognefjord and in the mountains between Sogn and eastern Norway and elsewhere in the county there are many elegant buildings that the master builder Anders O. Korsvold (1856-1912) erected. Korsvold was much in demand as a master builder in Sogn. He built primarily hotels and churches, but, in addition, he erected and restored a number of other buildings.
The high farm of Østerbø in the valley of Aurdalen got its own graveyard in 1858. It was used until 1911, when the last person was buried there. People were buried there even before the graveyard was consecrated in 1858.
About 100 metres to the east of the Stedje church in Sogndal there is a runic stone measuring 1.89 metres in height and 0.39 metres in width. The stone was probably raised here some time in the Middle Ages.
Anna Stang (1899-1996) is a fine representative of the singing tradition in the western Sunnfjord district. Her repertoire was varied and comprised different types of folksongs and religious songs.
The Viking farm at Ytre Moa is the most comprehensive farm complex we know in Norway from the Viking Age (800 – 1050 AD). The farm dates from the 9th century when much land was cleared for cultivation. For some unknown reason the farm was deserted, most likely towards the end of the 10th century. In the excavations from 1964 to 1966 six house sites and about 20 burial mounds were found.
In the summer of 2005, the Minister for Transport Torild Skogsholm opened the section Storebru-Knapstad on highway (RV) 5 between Førde and Florø. This was the last section in a major project of giving the two Sunnfjord cities an adequate road connection with a central road stripe.
The bridge across the river Jølstra was named after the shopkeeper Hans Christian Fr. Lange, one of the people who took the initiative to build the first bridge. The bridge has always been an important communications link in Førde town.
Ålfoten church is a cog-joint wooden longchurch in the village of Ålfoten in the municipality of Bremanger. The church can seat 100, and it was built in the 17th century. For a long time the year 1678 was held to be the year of the construction, but it probably dates from about 1610. Ålfoten church is a ¿sokn" church for the Ålfoten ¿sokn" in the parish of Davik.