The purpose of the facility was to have guns that could defend the entrance to the Gulen fjords. Of special importance was the Nordgulen fjord leading in to the smelter plant at Svelgen. However, the fjords were also used as anchorages for German convoys. The name of the facility was troop - in German Zug - and was under the command of the battery at Gottraneset at Skarstein. The troop was to replace two guns that had been located at Sande close to Svelgen since the spring of 1941, and in August 1942, the Ospeneset troop became operational. No mines were laid out there, and the area was cleared and released soon after the war had ended..
Facts about the troop at Ospeneset:
German name of the fort: HKB 4./981, Zug Aspenes.
Troops: 73 officers and soldiers.
Artillery: 3 Norwegian 105mm field guns.
Operational: August 1942.