The painter Anders Askevold (1834-1900) is best known for his animal motifs. "A specialist of high rank in the painting of animals", is the characterization of him in the standard work Norsk Kunsthistorie (history of Norwegian art), which was published in 1927. In 1934, a memorial for him was unveiled at Korseberget in Askvoll.
In the churchyard at Værlandet there is a memorial stone for fallen soldiers from Værlandet and Bulandet. The stone stands on the grave of one of them, Bernt Myrvåg. He fell in the battles at Walcheren in the Netherlands.
At the turn of the millennium 1900-2000millennium stoneswere erected in many places. At Holsen a stone was put up on the millennium spot in the district, in a public area below the church near the lake.
Johannes Haarklou (1847-1925), born at Hårklau in Haukedalen, is one of the most versatile music composers Norway ever had. He studied in Germany and elsewhere and was a church organist in Kristiania (now Oslo) for forty years. In the summer of 1927, a memorial stone to commemorate him was unveiled at Hårklau.
By the school at Byrknesøy stands a memorial for eight men who lost their lives during the Second World War. They were all from Mjømna "sokn" (sub-parish). The memorial stone was unveiled on 17 May 1946.
A number of memorial stones for the author Per Sivle have been erected,
- on his grave in Drammen, at Stalheim, at Voss and at Elverum. In Aurland there are two memorial stones, one at Aurlandsvangen, the other at Flåm. The Flåm memorial was unveiled on 17 May 1948.
Dokumentet inneheld xml-feil! An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 3791.
On each of the three churchyards in Solund, there is a memorial stone with the names of the 16 from Solund who were victims of the Second World War. Four of them belonged to Solund parish. The monuments are exactly identical and were erected simultaneously.
On each of the three churchyards in Solund, there is a memorial stone with the names of the 16 from Solund who were victims of the Second World War. Ten of them belonged to Husøy parish. The monuments are exactly identical and were erected simultaneously.
On each of the three churchyards in Solund, there is a memorial stone with the names of the 16 from Solund who were victims of the Second World War. Two of them belonged to Hersvik parish. The monuments are exactly identical and were erected simultaneously.
At the entrance to the museum "De Heibergske Samlinger - Sogn Folkemuseum" at Kaupangerskogen there is a memorial commemorating the founder, landowner G. F. Heiberg. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday, 26 August, 1951. Honorary member in "Sogn Historielag", Anders A. Skaasheim gave the speech at the unveiling ceremony.
The 19-year-old Johan Friis from Rugsund died in the first Norwegian shipwreck after the Second World War broke out in 1939. In 1994, the Rugsund "sokn" (sub-parish) erected a memorial stone dedicated to him and the three others from the "sokn" who lost their lives due to war actions. The stone stands at the Rugsund church.
The artist Bernt Tunold, born at Selje on 25 February, 1877, died in Bergen on 23 January, 1946, is held to be one of the great painters from western Norway. In 1951, his memorial stone was unveiled at Selje.
On the boundary between Øvre (Upper) Standal and Nedre (Lower) Standal there is a road stone monument. The year 1904 and the number 230 are carved into the stone. In the autumn of 2003, Odd Standal in Florø sent a photograph of the stone to the County Archives with some supplementary information. This marked the beginning of a small project of co-operation, resulting in an article on the road stone monument and the road to Øvre Standal, as well as providing some information where it is possible to find written source material on road history.
Many churches have portraits of their own previous vicars going back many centuries. However, no church can match the Undredal church in this respect. The people of Undredal can boast of having a "picture" of one of their vicars from the 14th century in the form of a sculpture in the "Nidarosdomen" cathedral in Trondheim. Pål Bårdsson was no ordinary vicar. For some years he was given the income of the Undredal church.
On the northern side of the church at Aurlandsvangen there is a stone linked to a prehistoric find of a grave at the farm Skaim. The stone has been erected in recent years, but we have not succeeded in establishing exact information when the stone was erected or why it was done. Nor do we know who did it.
The Bergen author Bolette Christine Pavels Larsen died on 8 December, 1904. Mrs Pavels Larsen was born in Sogndal, lived in Bergen, and over a long period came every summer on visits to Fjærland. In the course of two years, two memorial stones were raised; one in 1905 on her grave in Bergen, the other in Fjærland two years later.
King Oscar II visited Fjærland in the summer of 1879. Those who accompanied him up to the Bøyabre glacier and back, did not want any money for this job. All the same, the king sent a sum of money some time afterwards. The people of Fjærland decided to spend the money on raising a memorial stone commemorating the royal visit.
In 1962, Amanda Igland in the Bremanger Fiskarkvinnelag (an association of fishermen's wives) launched the idea of erecting a memorial plaque at the Hauge church over those who had lost their lives at sea. The idea caught on. Two years later, a monument was unveiled at the Bremanger church.
On the small island of Ersholmen between the mainland and the island of Selja the first attempt at afforestation at Selje was carried out by the vicar Johan Daniel Stub Landmark in 1876.
Beside the church at Eikefjord there is a memorial stone commemorating Andreas Hesjedal who died in a terrible accident in Florø on 1 September 1945. A fully loaded barge containing war ammunition exploded during the work of dumping the material. 19 men lost their lives. Friends and the youth association erected the memorial stone in 1947.
A short distance from the sea at the farm of Ålen in Askvoll, there is a memorial stone for three young boys who lost their lives in the war 1940-1945. They were all members of Vevring Fiskarlag (fishermen association), and it was this association that soon after the war took the initiative to have a memorial erected. The stone was unveiled in 1950.
In the churchyard at Askvoll, there is a memorial stone with 16 names, - all from the municipality of Askvoll, who lost their lives during the war 1940-1945. The memorial was unveiled on 17 May 1956.
Magnus and Marie Melvær lost their two sons during the war 1940-1945. Asbjørn, born 1908, died in captivity in Germany. Vemund, born 1922, was lost during an air mission over the North Sea. In 1947, a memorial stone was erected in their honour at their childhood farm of Melvær.
Close to the main road at Gudvangen there is a memorial stone commemorating the seaman Andrias Bryn, born 1918. He went to sea before the Second World War broke out in 1939 and he lost his life in an explosion disaster in the harbour of Algér in July 1943. The people of the valley of Nærøydalen erected the memorial stone in 1946.
On the churchyard at Midtgulen there is a memorial dedicated to Erling Julin Olsen. The stone was erected in 1947 by the people of Svelgen c/o "Svelgen turn- og idrettsforening" (sports club). Olsen was a war pilot and was shot down during a training mission in England.
At the Bremanger church at Bremangerlandet there is a memorial stone commemorating those who died in the Second World War from the former municipality of Bremanger. They all served in the fight for the freedom of Norway - one as a pilot, the twelve others as seamen. Many took part in the so-called Shetland Bus operations. The memorial was raised in 1947.
A short distance below the church at Ålfoten there is a 4.5-metre-high stone monument to commemorate soldiers from Ålfoten who took part in the war 1807-1814. Local people refer to this as the stone monument. The inscription is very nicely carved.
Six men from the Holmedal parish (earlier Fjaler municipality, now Askvoll) lost their lives during the World War 1939-1945: three on Norwegian merchant ships in service abroad, one on the ironclad "Eidsvold" at Narvik, one on board the coastal steamer "Irma", and one in the extermination camp of Sachsenhausen. On 29 August 1947, a memorial stone in their honour was unveiled at the church at Holmedal.
Sunnfjord folkehøgskule (folk high school)at Førde in Naustdal was established in 1902. "Ungdomsskolen i Søndfjord" was the headline in an announcement in 1902. Thorbjørn Horten (1844-1927) has been called the school's father. He was born at Aurland, but lived his whole life as a grown-up in the region of Sunnfjord, from 1872 on the farm Staviki at Stavang. In 1929, he was honoured with a memorial stone.
Close to the road up to the Stavang church there is a memorial stone. The names of five men are carved into the more than two-metre-high stone. Three of these men lost their lives at sea, whereas two died in imprisonment in Germany.
"The youths from Sunnfjord will some time in the 20th century spend time and efforts in erecting a stone by the shores of Svanøy in memory of Hans Nielsen Hauge and his friend, Ole Torjussen Svanøe." This Alhed Schou wrote in 1912 in the book "Svanøen i Søndfjord", and in 1954, a memorial was erected, but not quite by the youths of Sunnfjord.
In the park by Florø church stands a towering memorial in commemoration of those who lost their lives in the war 1940-1945. "Our dead deserve a dignified memorial", it was written in an appeal to raise money in the summer of 1945, "future generations must remember what they did and be urged into action." The memorial was unveiled on a Sunday in August 1946, with about 1500 people attending the ceremony.
In front of the oldest building at the Sunnfjord folkehøgskule there is a memorial stone. The stone was erected in 1933, in memory of Rasmus Øvrelid, principal of the school 1903-1916.
"In memory of the fatalities at Solvang" is cut into a stone in the churchyard of Førde parish church. Between 1 and 2 o'clock in the night of Saturday, 3 September 1910, the new home of "Søndfjords ungdomsskole" burnt to the ground. Six people lost their lives, principal Rasmus Øvrelid's wife, four of his children, and his mother-in-law. The memorial stone is on their grave.
The municipality of Gulen has four memorial stones for war victims from the Second World War. One stands at Byrknesøy, one on the churchyard at Mjømna church, one at the graveyard at Indre Oppedal, and one at the Eivindvik church. On the memorial stone at Eivindvik there are 16 names.
18 persons from Selje lost their lives as a consequence of the Second World War. Many of these were seamen. The people of Selje erected the memorial in 1947, and between six and seven hundred people were present at the unveiling ceremony.
There are two memorial stones in the municipality of Sogndal commemorating soldiers who took part in the war against Sweden in the years between 1807 and 1814. One of these is located at Fardal on a crag close to the sea at Storekleivi.
The Norwegian Missionary Society was founded in 1842. Two years later, the Society sent its first missionary to Africa, Hans Paludan Smith Schreuder. He was born in Sogndal in 1817, and died in Africa in 1882. In 1992, mission friends erected a memorial stone at the Stedje church in Sogndal.
In the years between 1756 and 1955, 84 fishermen in all from the municipality of Sør-Vågsøy were lost at sea. In 1957, a memorial was unveiled close to the church at Måløy.
At Nord-Vågsøy church, there is a memorial for fishermen who are lost at sea. It was erected by local people in 1998.
In the former municipality of Sør-Vågsøy, 17 men and women died in wartime actions during the Second World War. 16 of these lost their lives due to war actions at sea, whereas one died in a German prison camp. On 17 May 1946, a memorial stone was unveiled at the marketplace in Måløy.
Seven men from the former municipality of Nord-Vågsøy lost their lives during the war 1940-1945. On Sunday 16 September 1945, there was a memorial service and on 17 May the following year, people from the whole municipality gathered to attend the unveiling ceremony of the memorial stone. The memorial stone was originally erected at the Raudeberg school, but was later moved to the church.
On 24 April 1945, 49 allied planes attacked war targets at Måløy. One plane was shot down and one crashed before it reached its target. Four airmen lost their lives. In the summer of 2000, a memorial stone was unveiled to commemorate them. Leif Åge Larsen was one of the persons who took the initiative to raise this monument.
At Florø Lufthamn (Airport) there is a statue of a stocky man in his forties. The man looks towards the sky, and he is about to fulfil the dream of his youth: Flying across the Atlantic from America to Norway in the wake of Leiv Ericsson.
"Forget not, you are dust! Forget not, you are more than dust!" With these words from Henrik Wergeland Dagne Groven Myhren unveiled the new memorial stone for the poet and the family farm of Verkland. A beautiful and well-shaped natural stone appeared before the eyes of about 200 persons who had turned up for the ceremony. The day was Saturday 12 July 1975.
The missionary bishop Hans Paludan Smith Schreuder (1817-1882), born in Sogndal, was the first Norwegian missionary in Africa. He started his missionary work in Zululand in 1850, working with the Zulu people until his death in 1882. In the autumn of 1915, a monument was erected on his grave in Untunjambili. The monument was consecrated the following year.
Claus Frimann, born 1746, was vicar at Davik for 42 years. He is known as the poet vicar in Nordfjord, best known perhaps for his book "Almuens sanger" (Songs for the Common People), and in particular, the song "Den norske fisker" (The Norwegian Fisherman). In 1936, the congregation of Davik church erected a memorial dedicated to their famous poet vicar.
Martin Linge, actor and military officer, was killed during the British-Norwegian raid on Måløy on 27 December, 1941. He was buried with German military honours on the churchyard in Måløy on 4 January, 1942. In 1945, his grave was moved to Oslo. In all there are three Martin Linge memorials: on his grave, in the village of Sunnmøre where he was born and grew up, and in Måløy.
At the centenary of the city of Florø on 16 May 1960, a double bust of the brothers Johan Ernst and Georg Ossian Sars was unveiled. The bust stands on a stone plinth in the city park, and it is made by the sculptor Eilif Mikkelsen.
Rasmus Nyvoll, born 1909 at Ålfoten, fell in action in Italy in 1944. In 1951, a memorial stone dedicated to him was unveiled at Ålfoten church. It was the local youth association and the rifle association that took the initiative to erect the monument.
On 17 May 2000, a memorial stone at the Davik church commemorating three men who lost their lives during the Second World War. Two of them died on a joint British/Norwegian expedition to Spitsbergen in May 1942. The third man died when the ship he was on sank after being torpedoed en route from England to Oslo. It was the Davik "sokn" (sub-parish) who erected the stone.
17 May, 1914. "The day was solemn and fine in all respects. The weather was beautiful and calm. Just a soft breeze to open up the flags on the poles. There were many flags this year, more than ever before. This was the day for the unveiling ceremony at Helgheim, Sogndal folkehøgskule (people's high school)".
Around 1950, a big slab of stone with an old inscription was found in the Askvoll churchyard. The carved letters CIS matched Christen Jenssøn, vicar at Askvoll 1636-1653, and the author of the first dictionary of words from spoken Norwegian. Today, the stone in the churchyard stands in memory of Christen Jenssøn and his dictionary.
Professor Nikolaus Gjelsvik (1866-1938) was born at the farm of Gjelsvik in the municipality of Vevring, now Askvoll municipality. He is regarded as one of the greatest lawyers this country ever fostered. Gjelsvik also contributed much in the language movement, the youth movement, and the temperance movement. In 1941, the people of the Sunnfjord district erected a memorial stone at his place of birth.
Close to the church at Askvoll there is a three-meter-high memorial stone commemorating Bernt Askevold. Into the back is carved: "Venner paa begge sider av havet reiste dette minne (friends on both sides of the ocean erected this memorial)". Askevold emigrated to America in 1873, studied theology, and was minister of several congregations. He returned in 1922 and spent his last few years at Askvoll.