The Loftesnes bridge was the first bridge and road project in the county to be financed by toll money. The bridge was completed in 1958. In a 20-year period before 1958, a small shuttle ferry had crossed the narrow strait of Loftesnessundet, and further back in time, a ferryman had rowed people and cattle across. The bridge was an important step forward in the land-based communication in the central and inner parts of Sogn, at the same time as it made the connection to eastern Norway much easier.
Many a travelling sailor at the helm has wished that the Solund sea-lanes were much shorter. A good thing, then, that the islands were blessed with good harbours, where people could rest, or wait for fair wind.