When the very first primary school saw the light of day on the Solund islands, the archipelago was divided into two districts of roughly equal size. Then there was one school keeper in each, if there were "suitable individuals" for the work.
Hardbakke was the second place in Solund which had a schoolhouse. From 1870 onwards, the schoolchildren could climb up the stone steps to a spacious classroom. The teacher and his family lived in the other part of the building. For almost 90 years, this house welcomed schoolchildren.