Start at the island of Hindøya
Kolbein Sætre started the canning of crab at Hindøy in 1909. After a few autumn seasons, he joined with David Sauesund to establish the cannery Sætre og Sauesund Preserving at Sauesund some time between 1911 and 1914. Meinard Wig as is also believed to have started production of canned crab at Hindøy. He is also believed to have sold his facilities to the two.
The activity at Sauesund
The crab cannery at Sauesund was perhaps one of the first in the country. Canned crab was at the time not well known, and the turnover was small. The production equipment was simple, where manual strength was the only power. The first few years the crab was boiled in a sea warehouse and transported on a tip cart up to the productions facility in a basement. In 1925, a new factory was built on the seafront. All the work could then be done indoors. During the production seasons, between 50 and 80 workers are believed to have been on the payroll.
Closed down during the war
The crab was supplied by local fishermen. The factory had a small fishing vessel called "Klippen". This boat was used to pick up raw materials further away. The factory was closed during the war 1940- 1945. The facility was then bought by Bergen Preserving, and liquidated.